Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I'm Back! With Books!

It's like I fell off the face of the earth or something! I have not blogged in two weeks, and truth be told, I haven't even checked my blog in a few days. *Hangs head in shame* I missed the Second Challenge from Rach Writes and have missed out on tons of your great blog posts. To the writers in my group, I apologize for not checking out anyone's stories and not participating. For the past week, I've been home in Jersey visiting family and friends and celebrating Rosh Hashanah - the Jewish new year, which I will write about in another blog post.

While I was home, I visited a friend up in Boston for the day. We went to a book sale her library was having. But this was not just a little shelf on wheels with some 1980s pop fiction on it. This was a mega sale. Thousands of popular books on sale for twenty-five and fifty cents apiece. Or a whole shopping bag of books for $8. The library didn't open until 1pm, and there was already a mob waiting at the front doors by 12:45. It was like Wal-Mart on Black Friday. It was a great feeling, seeing people still excited about books. I said I was only going to get a book for the bus ride home, but I wound up with much more! I absolutely have no self-control around discounted books. My friend nearly cleaned out the children's and YA section, and is creating a library at her church's youth center. Here are the books that I gorged on and lugged back to Chicago. My suitcase came to 48 pounds!

A suitcase (half) full of books!

I was supposed to get a kindle this month, but obviously that's not happening. I've been hesitant to make the purchase, not because I'm such a fan of physical books, which I am. But a majority of books I read are taken directly from the bookshelves of friends. I love borrowing books and recommending mine to others. With a kindle, you can't do that, at least from what I've heard. When I go over someone's house, one of the first things I do is peruse his/her bookcase. I take pride in my bookcase, too. A bunch of the books I bought I've already read and thoroughly enjoyed, but I never owned a copy. Now I can reread and lend out my favorites. I will probably get a kindle sometime in the future - they're easier to read on a crowded subway car. You only need one hand! But for now, between these books and the ones I bought at Borders before they closed, I am set.

What about you readers? Kindle or Physical books? And do any of my books pique your interest?

4 comments:

  1. I'm delaying on the Kindle, too. There's something to be said about a well-stocked bookshelf and lending out books to visitors. I'd miss that if I had a Kindle.
    Congrats on your haul of books! I'm green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a plan to make the books lendable with the kindle. I haven't checked yet. I know I can already do it with my Nook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't be getting a Kindle or a Nook for a myriad of reasons, most of which are due to certain physical limitations.

    I enjoy purusing my local public library, not just because of the nifty books that I can find to read but more to the point that it works as a great release valve whenever I need to take a break from writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ ER - Thanks!

    @Michael - You can lend books to others on your nook? Can you only lend to people who have nooks? How do you like it?

    @G - I love strolling through a library for inspiration (and procrastination) and reading random book jackets and first pages. Plus checking books out is always free, which I'm always in favor of.

    ReplyDelete